Wednesday, April 18, 2012

#7. An Art A Day - Day 3 Cosplaying One of My Characters

For today's art I chose to cosplay one of my characters, Ji-Eun.
The art of cosplay makeup! Tadaa!

 

I  do not intend to star on my films or dramas, please note, never.
But I thought it would be fun to pose like one of my characters once in a while.
A writer's day-off. ;)

Last night, I was thinking that a few of my characters needs to be further defined and distinguished from each other. I was doing yoga, I looked into a mirror, and I thought, "well, one character has very sad eyes, so her eyes would be a bit lower on the sides than my eyes, and another character will have very big fluttering eyes, kinda torn (??) upwards in the end than mine are, and then the other..."  
Ohhh. Then the idea of cosplay crossed my mind. I could try to transform myself into one of my characters and find out more about them!

That was my intention. But the part about finding more about them was a failure.
Because cosplay makeup was no joke. It requires not only passion but also technique and an ability to capture and reproduce the characteristics of the character/person being cosplayed.

An example of cosplay (a superb one, I think), as Angelina Jolie!!! Children.. this kind of gigantic transformation is... possible..



(But please don't compare the above example with my humble cosplay.. it's my first time! ><)


And also  because I happened to choose a character who is moderately well defined already. But I thought she would be easier for me, a novice, to cosplay than the other two female characters who are less developed. :P

Well, so here it is, again, Ji-Eun, one of my protagonists for my fantasy drama Crossing.
She is a plain and gloomy loner at school, but outside school, she is a miniature artist with a distinctive style for her art and looks. But she is the same bluff, unsociable girl. She has this...er, indifferent-looking, apathetic, or a bit dazed look on her face....plus a bit of rebelliousness, I guess. (And of course she is not an indifferent person inside :>)

(you can see her full figure, close-ups, and my explanations here: 


This is how I look. I took this picture when I came back home from clinic today.


Actually I tried to shoot how I changed from above to below, but thanks to my super high-quality camera and my super-awesome technique, they are pretty all out of focus or something. :P 


Er.. so I did makeup to look like her, braided my hair a bit (for the first time since.. dunno... elementary school??!), and wore a hoodie. Sadly I do not own a very colorful and distinctive wardrobe as she does. This hoodie was the geeky (?) end of my wardrobe :/

What I basically did first was to apply concealer to my lips to give it a nude look (for I do not own a proper nude lipstick), and then try to change the shape of my brows with concealer, eye shadows, and a brow pencil. 
Can you notice how my brows have changed, and how that make me look different (or attempted to look different)?




Changing the shape of my brows was the most exhausting thing, because I had to use tons of concealers to hide my original brows. :P


I also applied a lot of bronzer and rosy brush to make my skin more tanned and yellow/reddish/brown. That's how I imagined her to be.
Then I did a bit of round smoky eyes. I don't wear smoky makeup myself... Actually I began to use eyeliner only a few months ago (and the whole female business of makeup a year ago!), so you can  fathom my level of expertise.. :P
I didn't want my high-schooler character, who does not really care as much about makeup as her taste in clothing, to wear a heavy makeup. That's for another character. But I wanted to create that look in her eyes. I also dabbed a LOT of red/brownish eyeshadows underneath my eyes so that I will have a huge dark shadow that would add up the gloomy mood, but unfortunately the pictures do not show as much.



Do I look a bit blunt, unsociable, gloomy, indifferent, apathetic, and rebellious?? X0
I think I do look different from the usual me. Definitely.

Oh, the last thing I did was drawing freckles in her nose and cheeks. (This is where I really messed up and it is the reason I had to add some effect on the pictures, because I really did a terrible job!)
You can see only a hint of freckles in the pictures therefore. :/


She doesn't smile a lot, but she does, but most of the times in secret.


Ji-Eun in a very happy mood -- probably when she is making art or something :D




Then I forgot that I was cosplaying and returned to myself :P




Er.. I hope my little "writer's day-off" does not affect my character in a bad way. I should also try not to fondle my character. ;)

It was my first time, it required a considerable effort, but now I guess it was pretty fun, too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment