Friday, March 30, 2012

#5. A Doodle A Day - Day 12 Drawing a Character - Ji-Eun

Another time-consuming doodle day!
I knew it would take some time. That's why I began it after doing some study. But it took way longer than I expected. It almost took.... 3-4 hours!! X(
So here it is, another protagonist for my story project (http://blog.naver.com/haejinsung).
Her name is Ji-Eun Tak (탁지은, 18). 


She is a 12th grade student, a taciturn loner in school, and a miniature artist with a distinguished taste for clothing and lifestyle outside school. 
She does not talk much, and she is definitely not a great socializer. When she is slandered or blamed for, she usually does not bother to defend herself. Her peers tease or ignore her for being gloomy and silent. 
But I think that she is very brave to pursue her own life. She is also a doer rather than a talker.

This is not the first time I worked on her character. You could see how I began imaging her in this post. I was brainstorming about her art and clothing, etc. >> http://projectmacy365.blogspot.ca/2012/03/4-brainstorming-day-2-dressing-code.html :)


Working Progress:
I began with an image of a girl who looks taciturn and gloomy..... Well, at least that's what I had in mind.
I imagined her not to have much expression usually, looking indifferent and sulky.
But when she smiles, which happens pretty rarely and only in front of people closest to her, I wanted her to be a charm incarnate.


I was looking out for a hairstyle that would suit this unique (?) girl, and I found out this braided hairstyle! 
I think that it looks casual, individualistic, and, well, fancy. :P 
The main reason she braids her hair is so that her hair does not disturb her work with making miniature art.
In school, though, she just opts for a plain ponytail.




 

But when I further touched her hair, then it looked TOO fancy. It looked like a very well-groomed lady in a cocktail party or something. :(


Well, so I drew another braided hair, this time trying to make it less fancy. I didn't really like this either, but I proceeded anyway.
Oh, by the way, she is wearing a earring in the shape of a beetle.
I'd love to try one of those insect or animal jewelries (but I don't usually wear jewelry. They are itchy!)


  

Now, this step that looks like her skin is burnt like a toast is actually to give gradation to her face.
I don't know why I came up with this step, but that's just what I do. 
(I never learnt drawing.. -_-) 


With eraser, de-burnt (??) Ji-Eun!


Next I drew her clothes.
I wanted them to reflect her unique, individual code.... (Or at least that's what I had in mind.. yawn..)
I tried to attach the Asian-style belt over her jacket, but it did not work so well... 


So I just gave her two straps.
Actually, these are the clothes that I would like to try on, but that are not suitable for me and perhaps too daring for me. X(
When I saw the top on the below left, I was so engrossed with it that I couldn't resist giving it to Ji-Eun. XP


By the way, her proportions are kinda... weird, mind.


 Holding an apple.. She is wearing tights with walking human figures and transparent rainday shoes.





I hope that she looks like a person whom you would not easily forget. You may spot her rummaging the trash can in the streets looking for things that she would like to use for her miniature art, or installing miniature gardens in the cracked corners of the roads. If you stare for at her for too long, she would simply glance you for a split second and turn away as if nothing happened. With the same indifferent expression in her face.
She is quite a person.
I like her :)



In my story (http://blog.naver.com/haejinsung), her soul and Soo-Oh's (수오) will be switched all of a sudden. Soo-Oh will be in Ji-Eun's body and vice versa.
You can see my drawings and comments on Soo-Oh in this page: http://projectmacy365.blogspot.ca/2012/03/5-doodle-day-day-1-girl-in-blue-soo-oh.html
Soo-Oh is a famous guy in school, and he is... well, simply put, leading a precarious double life.
Ji-Eun is also living a double life (a plain-looking loner as a student and a very characteristic life as an amateur artist), but they are very different. So their changed bodies are bound to cause calamities!
I'm looking forward to writing about them. :D  


No comments:

Post a Comment